This is a broad and stimulating research role that requires much more than just doing usability testing. If you are interested purely in UX, this might not be the role for you. We love to find a motivated individual who:
• Is attracted to UX/CX research not just for its own sake but for the impact that it can make in CX, service design and business outcomes
• Is passionate about and committed to delivering great work on all their projects. You’ll be someone who wants to take ownership of a project or your part in it.
• Relishes solving difficult problems. Not just UX problems but also service design problems, for example, “Why aren’t customers using this retail facility?” or “How can we help a borough council solve an anti-social behaviour issue that costs them a lot of money each year?”. So you enjoy seeing the value of UX/CX research translated into organisational and business change.
• Is not daunted by tough project challenges—in fact you’ll welcome those challenges because you know that’s where you’ll learn the most.
• Feels comfortable dealing with ambiguity or a lack of structure, such as projects with a wide brief or where you need to work out the way forward and come up with an approach. Your attitude will be one that is “How can we do this” rather than “we can’t do that”.
• Can work in a self-directed, flexible and adaptable manner
• Has a strong interest in all things related to design, as well as research.
• Is interested in the commercial success of the company—you understand the importance of sound commercial engagements.
• Won’t shrink from being involved in business development and contributing to proposal writing.
• Feels strongly about helping shape and contribute to the growth of our team and our practice.
Do you want to just do research, or do you want to help deliver solutions?
For us, research is often just the beginning… This is a varied and challenging role for an intern hungry to gain experience who wants to help drive the success of the business and deliver research that has a real impact. No experience necessary, however, knowledge of and keen interest in UX/CX research is essential.
The role will involve:
• Learning on the job and using the skills you gain across a variety of environments (both technical and non-technical) to help translate business challenges into innovative outcomes for internal and external clients.
• Learning to take research insights and turning them into service and design recommendations, communicated in compelling ways appropriate for your audience.
• Working with and supporting experienced colleagues on a variety of projects for both public and private sector organisations.
Projects range from usability research in the lab to in depth contextual research for service design & transformation.
About us and what we can offer you:
We’re a friendly, collaborative team of 16 in central London. We’re going through a period of reinvention and so our current vibe is a bit like a start-up, even though we’re not! We’re a small team inside a big multi-national services organisation, with all of the challenges and opportunities that brings. We work with commercial clients large and small, with public sector clients (such as hospitals, councils, Defence organisations), and on projects internal to our parent company Serco.
It’s our job to bridge the gap between UX/CX, service design and corporate imperatives. Working with us you’ll have the chance, early in your career to:
• Be exposed to a very diverse range of projects and challenges: UX usability testing, CX, business and service related research
• Work in a collaborative, demanding environment where you can influence outcomes
• Work on projects that have a positive social impact
• Expand and develop your skills rapidly
We’re an eclectic team of different ages and backgrounds, from HCI to technical writing, market research, start-ups and management consulting.
ExperienceLab is proud to be part of Serco. Serco is a FTSE 250 international service company, which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos. We improve services by managing people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise policy makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and – most of all – deliver to the public. Serco supports governments, agencies and companies who seek a trusted partner with a solid track-record of providing assured service excellence. Our people offer operational, management and consulting expertise in the aerospace, defence, education, health, home affairs, local government, science, technology, transport and the commercial sectors.
First assessments: May 31 2017